Monday, May 13, 2013

A Girl & Her Shoes


A couple of weeks ago, I opened up my “Running Miles – Post Marathon” excel file to do a quick sum of the mileage I had put on my latest pair of Brooks PureCadence running shoes.  I felt sure that I was due for another pair, but I wasn’t quite sure of the extent of the damage I had put on my current ones.  According to the Brooks Running website, you should expect shoes from the PureProject line to last approximately 250-300 miles.  I quit adding my miles when I hit 750.

The next day I signed online to my Amazon account to purchase my third pair of the women’s PureCadence running shoes.  I didn’t really even consider switching it up a bit.  And why should I?  Why risk injury in transitioning to new shoes when I loved these shoes?  They were lightweight, comfortable, and most importantly….Pink!

However, when I went to make my selection, I was disappointed to find that they were out of stock of my 9.5 shoe size (I may be a little girl but I got some feet!).  I then jumped over to the Brooks website and had the same results.  Then, it sunk in.  Oh no, don’t tell me, they’ve discontinued my shoes!!

Well, as shoe companies do, Brooks had come out with an updated model, the PureCadence 2. Not much had changed except for a redesigned upper and different colors (gone was my beloved pink).  I considered chancing it and just purchasing the newer model, but I decided that it may be time to make a real change.

I remember when I first walked in to the local Try Sports shortly after signing up for my first marathon.  I had recently read the best selling Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. (If you haven’t read it.  Read it!)  I was convinced that running shoes were the source of all our injuries and that I shouldn’t even be wearing shoes!  I half expected to walk out with some Vibram FiveFingers, but Joe the Salesman curbed my desires with a pink pair of PureCadences.  And then I had my first running shoe crush.  When I left the store that day, I couldn’t wait to take my new shoes for a spin around town.  And then we made memories of races, track repeats, training runs, and one nasty spill on a local road being repaved, and my crush turned in to love.

Since my current love had run its course, I took the opportunity to reexamine what I wanted in a shoe.  I found myself reading reviews, googling random athletic brands, and of course, revisiting the relatively new debate on barefoot running. I do think that I am a pretty reasonable person (at least before a few beers) and when it comes to barefoot running, I gotta say...It just makes sense.  Like sugar, make-up, & boobs, when it comes to running, natural is better.

Last weekend, ironically as I was about to head out for a run, the doorbell rang.  “They’re here!” I announced to my equally excited Golden Retriever.  I ran up to the door (barefoot, on my toes) to retrieve my package and then tore in to the box.  There, lighter, less cushioned, and more flexible than my last pair, was my next love, the PureConnect.

This Week’s Mileage: 42
This Week’s Beer Choice: Bear Republic’s Racer 5 IPA


Read more about Christopher McDougall and the barefoot running debate at http://www.chrismcdougall.com/barefoot.html

No comments:

Post a Comment