Tuesday, November 19, 2013

2013 Thunder Road – My Most Fun Marathon Ever


On Saturday morning, my alarm went off at 5:15 am.  It was race day.  The Thunder Road Marathon was beginning in less than three hours, and I had work to do.

I hit the pavement at 6:00 am, but I was not wearing running shoes – instead I had on an old pair of sneakers, and I was not planning on doing any running that day.  I was preparing to take on a new challenge as a marathon spectator and to help throw the best, damn race party in Charlotte!

Every year my neighborhood hosts the funkiest marathon cheering station in the whole Queen City, and they have the awards to prove it!!  It has become infamous for handing out beer and bloody marys to runners as well as putting up the “Wall” obstacle for marathoners to run through around mile 20 on the course when typically runners’ glycogen stores have been depleted.




While I’m sure the planning had begun months in advance, I began helping out the morning of the race when I met a few of my fellow neighbors to practice our artistic skills and add some colorful, legal (I hope!) graffiti to our streets.  By the time we finished, it looked as if our neighborhood was hosting a color run instead of a marathon!



A painted arrow pointed the way to the party.


My dog also got in on the action and showed her support of the runners by dressing up as one herself!  (Ok, she had some help, and yes, I do realize she puts up with a lot from her mom.)



With my best running friend, a motivational sign, and a cooler of mimosas and beer, I set up camp on the course around 9:30 am. 

It wasn’t long before the race vehicles came down our streets, followed by our first runner, who finished in a little over two and a half hours (Burt Rodriguez – 2:33:37).

Our NoDa Cheering Party


While it was certainly neat to see the first runner pass by, I found myself almost getting emotional when the first female came charging down our streets looking strong and grinning from ear to ear.  She was literally so happy.  I’m not sure I’ve ever seen so much joy on someone’s face.  I was touched because I could understand a little bit of what she was feeling, and it was truly a beautiful thing.  (Alice Rogers –  2:56:12)

I don’t know if it was the music, the booze, or the crowd of energetic NoDa neighbors and friends, but watching the Thunder Road Marathon may have been the most fun I’ve ever had at a marathon.  It was truly stress-free, and while the runners were out there working hard mile after mile, I got to drink beer!  It almost made me wonder if I should just give up the running thing and travel around cheering at various marathons around the country.  Almost made me wonder….Almost.




Weekly Miles:  None!  (But a little over four hours of pool running)

This Week’s Beer Choice:  Ska Brewing’s Modus Hoperandi India Pale Ale  (If you’re going to cheer on marathoners, you gotta drink out of a can.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment