Sunday, August 3, 2014

Hello, Goodbye, Hello, Goodbye


Maybe I got inspired last week while writing about writing or perhaps I may just need a little late summer vacay, but I’ve decided to make big changes to my blog!  This will actually be my last blog post on Brews and Running Shoes. 

Every good streak must eventually come to an end, and after writing 64 weekly articles, I am closing this chapter of my running story.  But the exciting part is that I am opening a new one!

There is no question that this past year has been a challenging one – To say that I have struggled with injuries, may be an understatement.  But even though I have yet to enjoy a completely pain-free run, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Thus, now is the perfect time to reassess my priorities and goals and choose to focus my energy on a more productive path.  It’s like how I feel about the food I put in my mouth, if something doesn’t improve your life and wellbeing, spit it out.

I'm in love with The Plant Cafe Organic
I am proud of my accomplishments and hard work thus far, but I feel that both my running and my writing have significant room for growth.  I love running and enjoy writing, but I often feel like I slap together a weekly blog post quicker than Goldie Hawn fixes a PB&J (with mayo) in Overboard.  Admittedly, I have treated my blog as just another item on my to do list – 1) Cut grass 2) Write Blog Post 3) Sweep up dog hair 4) Paint Fence.  Thus, I would prefer to post less often, but publish writing that I feel more passionate about (and hopefully is more enjoyable to read!).  Because, let’s be honest, when you can’t even put a workout on the schedule, let alone a race, a weekly blog post is a little overkill.  The only person excited about my five-mile easy runs is I (and that’s ok).

Will provide beer to anyone who wants to help paint!
Worried family and friends have suggested that I give up training and racing so that I may hopefully return to logging healthy, easy miles.  I really do appreciate the concern (even if I don’t necessarily appreciate the advice :) ), but people have got to be higher than this hippie I met last weekend in San Francisco’s Delores Park if they think I’m going to quit after only getting about 18 months of training under my legs.

Evidently I was not so sneaky in capturing this pic.
So, my friends, while this may be the end of Brews and Running Shoes, it is definitely not the end of running for me.  I am excited (and always optimistic) about the future.  And I am very much already out this door and working on a new blog.  I’m not leaving – just taking a little holiday.  I’ll be back.

You say goodbye and I say hello. 




This Week’s Mileage:  A streak was truly broken because I waited so long to write this post that two weeks went by!  Last week I only ran 10 miles.  I was running up a hill when I started feeling something in my right Achilles – the pain went away but only to return later in the day.  The next day I went to see the orthopedic surgeon again, because I honestly felt like my lower right leg should be feeling much better than it has been.  After another x-ray, the doctor said that my bone looked awesome (not sure if those were the exact words, but it’s what I heard), but I have posterior shin splints – which is what I’ve complained about since early Spring before I realized I had bone fractures as well.  Thus, because of the pain in the Achilles and the shin splints, I didn’t run any last weekend.  I did, however, go on an 11-mile hike at Alamere Falls – a little north of San Francisco, and I attended my first SoulCycle class (let’s just say I’m a better runner than I am cyclist).

Above the Falls
A little nervous on the decent
Our Hiking Group
Yes - I took a selfie (and got photo bombed)
Reason for my SF trip - To see this girl! :)


This week, with the help of my spanking new shoes (love them!), I ran 25 miles.  I definitely still have shin splints, but overall, I feel a million times better today than I did a month ago.  Hopefully, I am making progress and will be 100% healthy soon!  (Maybe in time for a new blog launch!)

New Shoes!  Saucony's Kinvara 4



This Week’s Beer Choice:  Bear Republic’s Racer 5 IPA 

I’ve had many a Racer 5s, but I’m quite sure it’s the first time I had the West Coast favorite on tap!

Racer 5 IPA at The Elbo Room in SF's Mission District

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful shoes.Very useful.Hi there, Үou hаve ԁone an incrеdible job.
    I'll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am sure they'll be benefiteԁ from thiѕ ωebsite http://www.usd-buy.net/.

    ReplyDelete