Monday, June 10, 2013

A Bit ‘Bout Boston in Charlotte


“Stop being lazy!  If someone can overcome Boston, you can run a freakin’ 5K at an uncomfortable pace.  No excuses.” 

These thoughts (and others than contain more profane language) ran through my head Friday night as I participated in the first annual NoDa Brewing Company 5K, which supported a local family that was injured in the Boston bombings.  It was a hot, balmy evening, and while running sub-six minute miles, the devil in me lamented why I couldn’t just enjoy the start of the weekend with a good, cold beer.

A few minutes before, I had been standing in the middle of a Villa Heights street listening to Boston victim Nicole Gross greet the crowd.  I had recognized Nicole from the national circulation of her haunting picture that seemed to capture all the shock, horror and devastation of that bloody day in Boston.  She thanked everyone for their support and expressed gratitude for all that the city of Charlotte has done to try to help her family.  As Nicole became choked up during her address, I started feeling tears well up in my eyes as well.  While I did not look around at the other runners and spectators (partly out of embarrassment of how visibly upset I’m sure I looked but also in respect of others), I still sensed that I was not the only one that felt so moved by Nicole’s words.

As we weaved through the Villa Heights and NoDa neighborhoods, I tried to tap in to the strength of Nicole and the countless other brave survivors and heroes of Boston.  I was also thankful for the company of the other runners around me.  While running may appear to be an individual sport, it is amazing how much easier it is to run quickly and/or for a further distance when you do not have to accomplish the task by yourself.

Recently, I read an interview on Runnersworld.com with Shalane Flanagan who came in 4th place at Boston this year.  In addition to the article quoting Boston area-native Shalane Flanagan saying “I am just pissed off” in reference to the bombings, there is also an interesting remark by Shalane that details her thoughts at one point during the race to team-up with her training partner, Kara Goucher, in order to get the pack moving.

While runners can sometimes receive minimal benefits from drafting off of other runners, the main reason why they race in packs (also called clustering) is mental.  If you inadvertently start falling off your pace, the fact that the other runners around you begin moving more quickly will alert you to speed up.  You are also sharing the same goal, the same challenge, and the strength of runners around you should make you feel stronger.  Most ultramarathons (races greater than 26.2 miles) will allow a participant to have a pacer for the last part of the race to encourage a runner to keep going when his body screams to stop and to possibly even provide rational thoughts when the ultramarathoner’s mind begins to shut down or worse – hallucinate.

The same thing goes with cheering spectators – Us runners run off the energy of the crowd as much as we do our cliff bars and goo gels. 

As my body heated up and my muscles became taxed, I began to think that maybe I should drop out of the race when we rounded the curve that came close to my home.  I could flush my timing chip down the toilet like a fugitive freeing himself of his tracking device, and no one would ever know.  However, as I passed by a row of homes around mile two of the 5K, I heard a little voice saying “Look Mom!  There’s a girl!” 

At that point, I knew I couldn’t quit. 

In 1966, Bobbi Gibb became the first woman to run the entire Boston Marathon.  After her application had been rejected by the director of the marathon (who wrote a letter stating that women are not physiologically able to run marathon distances) Bobbi snuck in to the race after hiding in bushes near the starting line.  With the support of the male runners around her and the cheering fans on the sidewalks, Bobbi kicked some serious butt that day and led the way for generations of women runners.

Maybe it was the community of my fellow runners, or my desire to prove that a girl can run with the boys, or maybe I knew how almost self-centered and weak I would seem if I couldn’t run 3.1 hard miles after all Boston and its victims have been through, but I finished the race Friday night in 18:19…Not the greatest time in the world, but a hard effort none-the-less.

While I cannot even speculate if I would be able to see a silver lining in the tragedy if I had been directly affected, I will say that I am always amazed at how strangers come together in a time of darkness to give strength and provide help to those they don’t even know.  It is a reminder to me that in running and in life, we can go further and faster with others rallying around us.

This Week’s Mileage: 41
This Week’s Beer Choice: Palmetto Pale Ale (Charleston, SC) http://www.palmettobrewingco.com/



Read David Willey’s entire interview with Shalane Flanagan at http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/shalane-flanagan-i-am-just-pissed

No comments:

Post a Comment