Monday, June 24, 2013

Back in the Stride of Things


Summertime, time, time…Child the livin’ Ain’t easy…Not if you are training for a fall marathon that is.

Over the past two weeks, I have eased my body back into marathon training like a little kid, step-by-step, slowly submerging herself into a freezing-cold pool before an early-morning, summer swim team practice.  As I find myself in the early stages of my marathon training, I can’t help but parallel this training period with that of my first.  Thankfully, since I’ve now done a lap around the block (or many blocks rather), I have the benefits of all the hard lessons I learned last year, and I thought this may be a good time to share my perspective on how to make your marathon training successful and put you in the best position come race day.

1)    Develop your Training Program:  There are countless training programs out there (vast majority of which are free!), but you need to start your training with something that is reasonable for your current fitness level and your goals.  If you are training for your first marathon and your goal is just to finish, I wouldn’t put a whole lot of effort in to speed work.  Instead, I would focus on just safely building mileage.  A good place to start (and my first training schedule) is MarathonRookie: http://www.marathonrookie.com/marathon-training.html 

Also, it is important to think of your training schedule as more of a guide rather than a set-in-stone plan.  As I mentioned, last year I started with the MarathonRookie schedule, but then I scratched it a few weeks in and began using a plan that had me running three days a week and cross-training two other days (swimming, biking, yoga), and then, as my body became capable of withstanding additional mileage, I ultimately took that schedule and blended it with another training plan that incorporated hill sprints and with one that emphasized four 20-mile long runs.

2)    Track your Progress:  Because I rarely follow my training plan perfectly, I like to log my mileage in a spreadsheet.  It is also a good idea to make note of what type of run you did if it differs from the plan.  As you progress through your training, monitor your progress to make sure you are on track.  And if you experience any injuries or discomfort, your training log will be a great place to help you pinpoint where you went wrong.

3)    Listen to your Body:  There is no training plan that has been magically created to tell you the perfect run for you to do each day.  Instead, you need to constantly check in with your body to see how you feel after your last run, how you feel during your current run, and what you think your body can take for the next run.  The answer may be that you do no run at all.  For example, Friday night, I was supposed to run 10 miles, but it had been a long, draining week – my calves were tight from the increase of mileage, my mind was tired from so much thinking and too much work, and my body was, generally-speaking, plain exhausted.  So, instead of running when I got home from work, I sat on the front porch of my little bungalow with my dog and enjoyed this week’s beer choice, Lagunitas I.P.A.  And my training runs Saturday and Sunday – much stronger due to the Friday night beer break.


4)    Avoid Injuries:  There are various figures out there for the percentage of runners who get injured each year, but one thing they all have in common – the rate is extremely high.  Nothing can set back your training or ruin your race day more than an injury.  Going along with #3 ‘Listen to your Body,’ I cannot stress how important it is to check in for any signs of pain or the beginnings of an injury.  I try to handle my training and body with kid gloves.  As soon as I experience any signs of an injury (most likely an overuse injury from increasing mileage too quickly or pushing my training too far too fast), I back off.  And by back off, I mean I STOP RUNNING!  Seriously – Don’t be an idiot – Don’t run!  It seems like common sense but so many people try to run through injuries, and then they turn into a huge issue that sends them to the doctor or knocks them completely out of race training.  As soon as you feel an injury coming on, stop running (cross train by doing something that does not cause discomfort and mimics the planned training effort – easy, medium, hard, etc.)  Continue to cross train until your injury is completely gone. Then cross train for one more training session just to be safe.  Once you feel you can run, go out and do an easy short run.  If that run goes well, you can resume training the following training day.  Remember – kid gloves.

5)    Research:  A fast runner is a smart runner, and a smart runner is one who has done her homework.  Read as many books and articles as you can.  Ask people’s advice.  You will quickly learn that one expert will say something completely opposite of another (barefoot running ring a bell?), but look for the commonalities and find what works best for you.

6)    Eat Well:  The average runner burns 100 calories per mile.  Being accustomed to instant gratification we often want to reward ourselves for our hard work.  For the same reasons why I would want a cookie every day during tax season, some runners will enjoy a dinner of beer, burgers, and fries after a sweaty, hard three miles.  300 calories out.  Calories in???  You get the picture.

7)    Make Time: No one has time to train for a marathon – Or at least very few people have the time.  You have to make the time.  Training for a marathon has to be a priority, and it has to come before almost everything.  Your friends or loved ones may not understand why you choose running over dinner out, but they will learn to make plans with you in advance so you can switch your run to the morning.  You will also figure out ways to save time.  For example, I-just-ran-10-sweaty-miles hair looks an awful lot like I-just-walked-on-the-beach hair.  Just rinse off your body, throw on some deodorant, and you are good to go.

8)    It’s Not Supposed to be Easy:  If running a marathon were easy, everyone would do it.  The truth of the matter is that it’s absolutely awful sometimes.  You will have good days of training, but you will also have really hard days that will make you question what you are doing.  You will be tired.  You will be sore.  You will get black toenails, and you will lose toenails.  I will probably not get another boyfriend in my life for posting the below picture, but it is a shot of my toenails (after removing toenail paint and before reapplying new paint) about a month before my marathon last fall.  Tip: If you are a girl (or a dude who likes painted toenails), pick a dark shade like black, grey, or navy so that it will blend with the bruising.  You can also paint a “fake toenail” on the toes that are missing nails.  Unless you post a pic on your blog, most likely no one will ever know.



9)    Remain Focused & Motivated:  Perhaps the biggest challenge of training for a marathon is to remain positive and focused on progressing your training.  Consistently reading and researching running helps me to stay motivated.  I also receive daily quotes from Runner’s World that help me start my day (http://www.runnersworld.com/quotes).  Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I visualize my goal and never allow myself to forget why I’m training.  Remember – you want this.

10) It’s Your Marathon:  After all my training advice, I will acknowledge that it is your marathon (just as my marathon is my marathon) and you can choose to train and run it however you please.  Maybe you are running a marathon just so you can eat burgers and fries and drink beer every night or maybe your marathon isn’t a priority and you are fine with just training when you can and winging it on race day.   Whatever your goal may be – I can only hope that you find some joy in training, and you may come to realize that the rewards from running a marathon have already been won before you ever toe the starting line.  Happy Training!



MCM Training Week Two: 56 Miles
(Mostly Easy, A few hill sprints, A few miles at goal marathon pace. Longest run = 15 miles)

This Week’s Beer Choice: Lagunitas IPA  (Yes, the second beer of the week from the Lagunitas Brewing Company)

No comments:

Post a Comment