Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Chicken-Quinoa Soup for the Body


“Lap Three!  Keep Running!!” shouted out one of my neighbors (who I don’t know) from the front porch of his home this past Friday night as I passed by, charging slightly uphill at an uncomfortable pace.  Even though I chuckled at the guy’s remarks, truth be told, I needed a little encouragement because I felt like I was dying.

There’s a large part of me that would be happy running slow, easy miles all the time and not trying to kill myself on a Friday night when I should be home sitting on my front porch drinking a beer like my neighbor probably was.  But I know if I want to race fast, I’ve got to have some fast (uncomfortable) running in training.

Thus far, I probably would sum up my training for the Boston Marathon as “mostly crap.”  I started preparing for the race way later than I had intended because of my sprained ankle, and then when I was finally able to return to running, I felt like I was forced to focus more on recovery rather than progressing into a faster runner.

However, this past week of training was probably the first week that I feel like I had some real substance.  Wednesday night I was doing 3-minute repeats of running uphill at around a 5:40 pace, Friday night I was running 15 minutes at marathon pace with a two minute active recovery followed by 15 minutes at half marathon pace, and then Sunday during my long run, I threw in 10 x 90 seconds at what was supposed to be 6:25 minutes-per-mile pace but instead I ran them too quickly (so, I probably got in some half marathon-specific training rather than marathon-specific).

Even my Saturday night yoga class was brought to a new level of intensity this past week.  When I arrived at class after running five easy, slow miles, I expected to join the normal, smallish group of yogis to get in some stretching to complete my “rest day.”  Instead, there were people everywhere and not a free cubbie in sight to store my belongings during the hot vinyasa class.  I felt like I was in the twilight zone.  What was going on?  And then I saw her – the five-foot, little devil of a machine, our substitute (and evidently popular) yoga instructor.  I think this chick inhaled too many incents because she was off her ass – literally.  Legs spread out front in a V-shaped position, the Machine floated with one hand in front of her body and one behind. 

“This is not a spectator sport, people.  Try it.”  Was she serious??  I can’t do that.  “Yes, I’m serious.”  Oh my god.  The Machine can read my mind.

Needless to say, I went in to my Sunday morning long run already sore (and came out even more so).

After pushing myself a little harder this past week, my body is feeling a bit banged up.  Nothing serious (thank goodness!) but my muscles are certainly aching.  While my mother thinks my diet could use some more Thin Mints (“Paula – You’re too skinny.  You need to eat more Girl Scout Cookies”), I chose to ignore that little nugget of motherly advice and instead cooked up a pot of chicken-quinoa soup (recipe from The Runner’s World Cookbook) Sunday night to help aid with recovery and build my muscles back stronger.



Taking the easy route is almost always more appealing.  I believe we as human beings instinctually chose to avoid any unnecessary exertion.  Why else would we drive around a parking lot for 10 minutes so that we can save ourselves 10 additional seconds of walking?  And I know that when I am out running, pushing the pace, my instinct is to back off and take it easy.  I have to tell myself all the time – “No, you are not dying.  Stay calm and move on through this.”  And I usually am right – I am fine, and I can hold the pace if I don’t start freaking out about the effort.

Easy is just that…it’s easy.  And it’s safe.  But to get stronger and better at something, you have to push outside your comfort zone.  To race fast, you have to train fast.  And if you are feeling a little beat up (like me), just make yourself some chicken-quinoa soup for the body.




Boston Experiment Week 6 of 16:  57

This Week’s Beer Choice:  Loose Cannon IPA with my sushi at Miyagi’s in Charlotte’s NoDa Neighborhood  (BOGO Happy Hour is The Best Deal in Sushi in Town and also The Best Sushi!)





No comments:

Post a Comment