Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Snow Day Speed Play


It’s been a chilly winter here in Charlotte, but every time the temperatures have dropped, the skies have cleared and the sun has shined down brightly (Conversely, every time it has warmed, it has inevitability rained as well.)  That’s been the case for the season thus far, but it all changed this past week when we finally got some snow!

While I was delighted as a young kid to see my little bungalow and its surroundings turn in to a winter wonderland (I like to take LOTS of pictures!), I had to still figure out how to run in the stuff!  There are no marathon training make-up days in my schedule for when it’s too icy to hit the streets.  And let’s not even think about how far behind I am on Boston training.  If Boston were a college class, I’d throw in the towel and elect to treat it as a pass/fail.

My little bungalow in the snow.


When I initially left the comfort of my warm home on our snow day, I could barely walk on the pavement.  I had to take baby steps in order not to fall!  I immediately knew two things:  One – my dog was not getting a walk that day, and two – there was no way I’d be running on the slick streets.

So, what did I do? 

Well, do you remember my old, grass track around the corner from my house where I started running barefoot last summer when I had a stressed-out right foot and blood blisters on my left from running barefoot on pavement (I’ve really done some dumb things!)


If not, that’s ok because I had about forgotten about the place too.  But last Wednesday I realized that the little, grassy park around the corner may be the only place in my snow-covered neighborhood that was not too slippery to run on. 



And as I have learned from analyzing my past training logs, history will repeat itself.  Three weeks in to Boston training almost immediately after being out for an injury is very similar (if not more stressful) than my first few weeks of Marine Corps Marathon training were last summer when my body struggled with the added intensity.  That’s why this past week and a half or so I have been focusing on listening to my body and not doing anything stupid so to decrease the potential to re-injure myself.  And since things did feel a little stressed last week, I realized getting off the hard sidewalks and streets was the perfect solution for not only the snow but also my legs.

So, I set out on my chilly journey creating a small path as I ran around the snowy field and weaved through the trees where I pretended I was in a scene from the Chronicles of Narnia.  May seem silly but I felt like I had as much fun playing around in the snow as the neighborhood kids.



To throw in a little quality, I randomly did some strides on the straightaway – nothing serious, just a little speed play to spice up ten miles that were made up of laps that were slightly less than .25 miles in length. 



You may think that running close to 50 laps (believe me – I didn’t count!) around a tiny park may have seemed dull, but the beauty in spending years doing tax returns and months aqua jogging in a pool is that after those things you have the mental strength to endure all sorts of monotony.  But I honestly didn’t have to tap in to that strength…Running in the snow was a novelty of sorts.  I’m sure it would get old after a while, but just for a day, I enjoyed my snow day speed play.

Some times we spend too much time focusing on all the things that go wrong, but the truth of the matter is that things rarely go perfectly – When things go perfectly that’s the exception to the rule.  We won’t always have 60 degree running weather with clear skies and our bodies won’t always be 100% healthy, but you have to work with what you are given and learn from your past mistakes.  So, when life throws you a snowball, you just have to find a new way to play the game.



Boston Experiment Week 5 of 16:  52

My mileage was same as last week…let’s call that SALWee since in tax we love to blame our mistakes on the fact that they were SALY (Same As Last Year).  Great news is that I am feeling really solid and looking forward to conservatively increasing my mileage next week.  My long run of the week (18 miles at an average pace of close to 7 minutes/mile) gave me some confidence that even with less-than-ideal training, there’s potential for Boston to be a good race.

This Week’s Beer Choice:  Boulevard Brewing Company’s Single-Wide I.P.A. (My beer was more exciting than the Game)



No comments:

Post a Comment