Thursday, May 15, 2014

Thank My Lucky Shoes


I don’t believe in the supernatural.  If science can’t prove it, then I’m not buying it.  I pride myself on being a rational, reasonable human being, but why is it that I fret when I think my clothes dryer ate one my lucky running socks?  Or I ponder if my bright yellow Lululemon singlet from the disappointing Boston Marathon is now a cursed piece of bad luck that can no longer be worn in another race?

In preparation for race day, I almost always have planned out my outfit before I have even decided on my target pace.  For example, I got my singlet for this past April’s Boston Marathon back in December – That’s before I even started training for the race!

Proof that I did start the Boston Marathon


You may think that I just really enjoy shopping, but race day gear is so much more that just another piece of garb.  

For starters, planning out my ensemble helps me become more prepared for the approaching race.  You don’t want to be scrambling the night before to find a pair of shorts with enough pockets for gels or a shirt that won’t chafe.  And having your outfit already squared away is just one more reason to feel confident and prepared as the big day approaches.

But there’s more than just function and comfort (and perhaps dread) that hang on a runner’s shoulders at the starting line.  A race day outfit is supposed to be special.  It’s supposed to be bright and flashy.  And you are supposed to feel fast and fearless in your uniform.  For example, I like to wear boyshorts not only because I hate the feeling of regular shorts sticking to my legs with sweat but also because the tiny, little shorts make me feel fast.

When I was younger and would show my old American Saddlebred, Star Man, we would put the gelding in what we call a “full bridle” – a bridle that contained both a snaffle and a curb bit and thus had two sets of reins.  Interestingly enough, we rarely trained in the full bridle.  Instead, it was almost completely reserved for show day only.  Why?  We wanted the horse to know that when the full bridle is on, it is game on!

Showing my old horse Star Man at the 2002 NC State Fair


I like to think of my racing flats as my version of Star Man’s full bridle.  I’ll pull them out every so often and run a mile in them, but I will always throw in a few strides when I do.  Perhaps it’s pointless, but I hope that I am training my legs and feet to know that when the racing shoes are on, it’s time for some fast running!

So, maybe I am not as reasonable and rational as I claim since I choose to keep certain running gear safely in a dresser drawer to preserve their “specialness” for race day.  But if wearing a flashy new top or a favorite pair of socks makes me think I’m going to run faster, then I’m going to do it.  Because a significant key to racing success is mental – and that – I’m pretty sure science can prove.




??? Weeks till Running!

After a little over 3 weeks of resting and crutches, I finally feel about the same as I did going in to the Boston Marathon.  I actually have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon on Friday to get another opinion on my injury.  We shall see!  Should at least be interesting.


This Week’s Beer Choice:  Front Street Brewery’s Amberjack ESB (Wilmington, NC)

Amberjack ESB at Front Street Brewery in Wilmington, NC

No comments:

Post a Comment