Friday, May 30, 2014

Lessons from Meb


This week I decided to kick it old school with a book report on Run to Overcome by U.S. marathoner Meb Keflezighi with co-writer Dick Patrick.  Given the slow mail delivery of the autobiography, I am guessing that I was not the only one who purchased the read off Amazon last month after Meb claimed the first American male victory at the Boston Marathon since 1983.

Being unable to run, I have chosen to read about running – and I can tell you I flew through Meb’s book almost as fast as it took the guy to get from Hopkinton to Boylston Street this past Easter Monday.  The autobiography’s cover promises an “inspiring story” and it certainly delivered!  Meb’s journey from being a malnourished child – often resorting to eating dirt – in a small town in the African country of Eritrea to becoming one of America’s fastest marathoners is nothing short of extraordinary.

Like Meb’s immigration to the United States, he did not become an elite marathoner overnight.  To become as great a runner as Meb is, it takes years and years of dedication, but it also takes patience – something many young runners (totally guilty here!) struggles with.  Meb writes about when he was a “rookie pro runner” and met one of his running heroes Paul Tergat.  When the young Meb, eager to be as fast as his idol, asked Tergat about what workouts he was doing, Tergat’s response was a chuckle and some sound advice – “You are not at the level I am.  I could give you my workouts, and you might be able to hang with me for a day or a week, but eventually you would break down if you had not done the preparation.  But if you do things right and work hard, you will get there.”  I think it’s safe to say he’s now gotten there.

While I will never be able to relate to Meb’s speed, I can sympathize with his struggles with injuries.  The marathoner shared his story of running the 2008 Olympic Marathon trials in New York City on what turned out to be a stress fracture in his hip.  “Dropping out might have been the smart decision.  But I didn’t consider it seriously because I was not breathing hard.  My mind was telling my body to go, but my body would not respond.”  It took him 12:31 to run the last 1.2 miles of the race.  I feel like Meb could have been writing about my last miles in the Marine Corps Marathon, but unlike I who repeatedly told everyone on the course “I can’t run!,” I think Meb probably held it together a bit better.

In the days immediately after the trials, Meb was forced to crawl on his hands and knees to get around his hotel room.  (I drew strength from this fact while crawling around my upstairs office when I didn’t risk taking the stairs with crutches – Even Meb had to crawl.  I can crawl.)  At this low point, Meb’s wife even urged him to give up the sport of distance running.  But we all know that didn’t happen.  It took consulting with more than 50 doctors (which makes my 3 medical opinions look measly), to determine that the source of Meb’s pain was a stress fracture in the right side of his pelvis.

Unfortunately, the stress fracture was only part of Meb’s troubles during those hard times.  He also writes of financial and family problems that weighed on him.  I have no doubt that the average person would not have kept persevering, but Meb seemed to find light even in the darkness.  He writes, “Life is bright; it just seems difficult at times.”

When Run to Overcome was published, Meb already had an extremely accomplished career that included becoming an Olympian and winning the New York City Marathon.  But he teaches readers the importance of setting new goals and admits that he would “love to win the Boston Marathon.”

The closest I ever got to Meb was at the starting line of the Boston Marathon, but my parents were able to see him flash by on Boylston Street moments before claiming the 2014 Boston Marathon victory.   Now that he has accomplished another life goal, it makes you wonder what is next for one of America’s most beloved marathoners?  Well, he does share his dream of coaching one day, and from what I learned just by reading Run to Overcome, I would bet that he would make just as good a coach as he does a marathoner.

 
Photo Taken By My Dad on Boylston




2 Weeks till Running (Hopefully!)

This Week's Beer Choice:  Foothills Brewing Company's Hoppyum IPA (Winston Salem, NC)



Family Golf Cart Happy Hour at the Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment