Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Like A Kid In A Candy Store


Call it weird, but lately, one of my favorite weekly activities has been shopping at the Whole Foods in Wilmington, NC (my home away from home).  I find myself just walking around the store (or scooting around the store in a jazzy shopping cart when I was still on crutches) browsing for new foods to try and taking in all the sights and smells of so many healthy, organic, and locally grown foods.  I feel the same way in Whole Foods as I do in Anthropologie, one of my favorite clothing/home stores.  I want everything!  Power greens – Yes please!  Vegan “chicken” – Sure! Why not?

Joy Riding in the Jazzy at Whole Foods

Perhaps I’m experiencing backlash to my post-Boston binges of Ben & Jerry’s and Girl Scout cookies, but my body has been craving clean, raw, natural foods.   I’m eating a salad loaded with dark nourishing greens, veggies, nuts, organic goat cheese, and sometimes fruit (my kind of candy) almost every day.





I think my guilt over previous indulgences is only part of the source of my recent menu overhaul however.   Call is spring diet cleaning, but it seems that the warmer temperatures and lush, green vegetation that has recently sprung up outside not only encourages late afternoon beers on the patio but also lighter meals sourced from farmers markets.  

Blooms Decorating My Front Porch

In fact, I realized recently that it was around this time last year when I decided to become vegan – it didn’t last long but I gave it a noble effort for several weeks.  And although I’m enjoying real turkey sandwiches again, I’m still building them in wholesome, protein-packed Ezekiel 4:9 bread.  And because of my short-lived “vegan-experience,” instead of craving a quarter-pounder on the weekends, my mouth now waters for black bean burgers and beer!

Quinoa Black Bean Veggie Burger at Alexander Michael's (Charlotte, NC)

I’ve also planted another garden this year.  While tending to the tiny plants, I have grand visions of creating a late summer salad comprised of the fruits (and vegetables) of my labors.  However, I had similar lofty goals last year that were nibbled away by pesky insects.  But it’s a fresh season and a fresh start!  Maybe this year I will have the most productive garden on the block.



Of course, as much as I travel, sometimes it’s difficult to find and make wholesome choices when you are surrounded with temptation (and peer pressure!).  This week, I’m training in Atlanta – where lunch options include fried chicken, mac ‘n’ cheese, and key lime pie that is followed by brownies and cookies as an afternoon “snack” only two hours later.  (I went to a public accounting conference years ago that had hot dogs as a snack – so things could definitely be worse.)  But after 8 hours of lectures, and 15 minutes in Atlanta traffic to go only one mile, I found my hangry heaven – Whole Foods.




Not only was I able to pick up an awesome spicy tuna, avocado and quinoa sushi roll (sure beats room service!), but I got a six-pack of Blind Pirate from the Atlanta-local brewery Monday Night.

Whole Foods Sushi



I may be eating so much healthy food lately that I’m probably not combating any of the inevitable running-injury weight gain, but I figure when your candy is real strawberries and not just strawberry flavored, go ahead and put the treat on everything!



Kashi Organic Promise Cinnamon Harvest with Strawberries



1 Week till Running (Hopefully!)  X-Ray Next Tuesday!

This Week's Beer Choice:  Monday Night Brewing's Blind Pirate Double IPA (Atlanta, GA)

Monday Night's Blind Pirate Double IPA

No comments:

Post a Comment