Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Namaste


Taking running from a runner is almost like taking anti-depressants from the manically depressed.  I didn’t realize how much running elevated my mood until it was gone.  And to think that’s how most people – those who don’t get to enjoy daily runs – live their lives.

In her book Running for Women, Olympic marathoner Kara Goucher described a time when she spent her days sitting around her house eating candy corn, gaining weight, and being depressed while she was injured.  These past few months I have sympathized with Goucher and realized that while she injected humor into the situation, being unable to run is no laughing matter.

While I tried to remain positive, I certainly felt the effects of the loss of my natural daily upper.  However, I was fortunate to still have one thing – my yoga practice.

Even though it still took me a few weeks to get back to my mat, I was able to return to yoga much sooner than I was able to get back to running.  And yoga gave me the opportunity to sweat out my frustration with my injury and refocus my recovery.

In fact, I believe yoga was one of the factors that aided my recovery.  Rehabbing an ankle is all about balancing poses, and in yoga you have plenty of them! Half Moon, Warrior Three, Tree, Eagle – all these poses helped me build a stronger ankle.

I will even stretch that statement a bit deeper and state that I feel like most of the exercises I see out there for runners – whether they are for rehabbing, strengthening, or stretching – are done in some variation during my yoga practice.  Thus, as part of my Boston training, I am committing to try to practice at least twice a week to build strength, stretch, and prevent injury.

Another benefit of my yoga practice and arguably most important is that it builds pain tolerance.  The kind of yoga I practice, hot power yoga at Charlotte’s Y2 studio, isn’t the breathing and chanting stuff some people conjure up in their minds when they think of yoga.  No – this yoga is hard.  You are holding poses until your arms and legs shake, doing chaturanga push up after push up, and doing head stands or crow poses on your “break” all while sweating out a week’s worth of beer in a 105-degree heated room.

In Jillian Michaels’ Yoga Meltdown dvd, Michaels instructs the yogis to “Get comfortable being uncomfortable.”  While Michales was talking about holding a difficult yoga pose, she could have been talking about running.  Half of the challenge with running – especially racing – is getting comfortable with holding uncomfortable paces.  You have to breath the pain in, swish it around your mouth a little, and swallow it down.  You will feel pain everywhere!  If you are at the end of a marathon and you aren’t in pain, then you’re not pushing hard enough.  And if you never feel like you are dying during training, then you will never reach your potential.

Some people are resistant to try yoga because they think all the “Namastes” and “Oms” are weird, and they are afraid that they will be surrounded by a whole bunch of smelly hippies.  Well, the smelly part may be right on target, but I think most people are just afraid to step out of their comfort zone.  And I remember my first few times at yoga, I felt the exact same way!  I didn’t know any of the names of these poses, and I wasn’t flexible (and I’m still not), and I felt a little out of place surrounded by yuppies in their lululemon flying their birds high above their heads (I will never be able to do that!)

But we rarely stretch and grow without stepping out of our comfort zones.  And since I have committed to making 2014 a year of improving, I have to push it to progress. I have to get comfortable being uncomfortable.

The light within me honors the light within you.  Namaste.


Boston Experiment Week 3 of 16:  51 miles – all “real” running.  Longest run was a 16-mile progression run.  I’m feeling great and very thankful to be back!!

This Week’s Beer Choice:  Birdsong Brewing Company’s Higher Ground IPA



Photo is courtesy of my friend Mary Cowx who enjoyed a delicious Charlotte Restaurant Week dinner with me at Nan and Byron’s.  Mary is an amazing food blogger, and her pictures are beautiful!!  You do not want to look at her blog while hungry!  Bonus points – Mary is also a runner and is currently training for a spring half marathon!  You can follow Mary at http://www.ferventfoodie.com/

1 comment:

  1. Awwww I feel the love :)

    Maybe I'll give yoga another shot this year...

    ReplyDelete