Monday, September 30, 2013

Battle of the Sexes


I was almost eleven miles in to my 22-miler the other weekend when I was passing by an older man (maybe 65? 70 tops?) on the greenway in south Charlotte.  However, as I made my way around the man at my steady, easy pace, he started speeding up!  Thus, I kicked it up slightly, made the pass, and then moved to the right side of the trail.  The guy immediately passed me. 

A few minutes later, he started slowing down and I – maintaining my same, steady pace – began passing him for the second time, and the same thing happened again! 

Finally, at mile eleven, following my training plan, I picked up my pace from easy to moderate and attempted to pass the older man for the third time, and this time he began a little shit talking to me about “bringing it.”  What?!? – This guy like qualified for the senior citizen discount at Harris Teeter.

Even though I was a little annoyed, I resisted the urge to put the old fart in his place and instead laughed and made some joke about how far I had left to run, but I was thinking like seriously?!? – Even an old man has such a problem with being “beaten” by a girl!

This instance happened only a few weeks after I was at mile 21 of another 22-miler, when I was again attempting to pass a guy who instead picked up the pace and said “Oh, so you are going to make me run faster?”    

What is it with guys – especially ones who aren’t that fast to begin with – having so much ego that they turn every run in to a race and loathe the thought of a girl passing them!

In the Marine Corps Half Marathon last weekend, I started ticking off the boys one-by-one in the last few miles of the race (still had six in front of me at the finish).  As I chicked them (To get “chicked” is to have a girl pass you – I learned this a few years ago when some guys came up to me after a race and accused me of “chicking” them), I couldn’t help but feel a little bad about breaking their spirits.  And to make matters worse, I felt like I should say something to these guys as I passed by so I offered up a few “Good jobs” which, in retrospect, unfortunately probably came off as patronizing.  I’m not sure there really is anything polite to say when you chick a guy – A coworker suggested I just yell “Suck it!”…not so polite.

I guess the root of the matter for me is that I don’t really feel like I am competing with these guys.  I’m certainly not competing with anyone during my training runs, but even during a race – this may seem strange – but I feel a certain sense of community with the boys surrounding me.  We are all out there pushing ourselves – trying to get the job done. 

Just like how my mom tries to convince me that not all boys are assholes, I don’t think every male runner is horrified about a girl passing him.  In fact, throughout my short running career thus far, I have experienced a great deal of comradery while running with the boys.  For example, I think of the guys who I met at the Thunder Road Marathon at around mile 17 who found out it was my first marathon and tried to help me out (they pulled me in to their pack and blocked the wind for me) or I think of the male runner who gave me a high-five as soon as I crossed the finish line as the first place female at the NoDa Brewing 5K.

But for the boys who do pride themselves on what great shape they are in (you know who you are or then again, maybe you don’t but others do), you may need a reality check.

A couple of weeks ago, a Utah woman made headlines for winning the Big Cottonwood Marathon.  However, when I say “winning,” I don’t mean she was the first female to cross the finish line, but rather she was the first runner – male or female – to complete the course.  (http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/utah-woman-is-overall-winner-of-marathon)

So for the guys who don’t want to be staring at a girl’s rear as she passes by – You better pick up your pace and watch your backs – cause the good ‘ole boy days are coming to an end and the women are chasing you down.




MCM Training Week Sixteen:  74 Miles

My longest run this week (which will be my longest of this training period) was 24 miles, and it was the most painful training run I may have ever had.  It certainly didn’t help that 15 miles in to the hilly long run, I ate it while running uphill on an uneven sidewalk.  With a bloody left hand, I was forced to trudge on for another nine miles after the incident.  By the end of the run, my hips, legs, and oh-god my feet hurt so badly!  Hopefully this run has made me stronger, but my body certainly felt trashed at the end of it.

This Week’s Beer Choice:  NoDa Brewing Co.’s Hop, Drop ‘n Roll IPA  (Hands Down – Best Charlotte Beer)


No comments:

Post a Comment