Monday, September 16, 2013

Race Week: Marine Corps Half Marathon


Finally!!!  After talking about racing, writing about racing, and daydreaming about racing for months, I am going to race again this Saturday!  As part of my Marine Corps Marathon training, I am scheduled to run a half marathon this Saturday, September 21st at the Marine Corps Half Marathon in Camp Lejeune (Jacksonville, NC). 

There is always something special about race week…maybe it’s the little butterflies of excitement or the multiple guilt-free bowls of pasta I get to enjoy as I carbo-load.  Whatever the appeal, race week is a time to take a step back, rest my body, rest my mind, and get ready to race!

Every runner has her breaking point, and this past week I was tiptoeing the line on mine…Work was long and draining and on top of it, I was pushing myself to run 80 miles for the week.  It only took a few days of working till past 7:00 pm, then coming home and trying to fit in ten miles of quality running before my body started breaking down.

On Thursday night, I was scheduled to run 10 miles at moderate pace.  I made it a mile…Gave up.  Came home.  Had a beer.  And went to sleep.  I knew that by skipping that run I would not meet my goal of running at least 80 miles this past week, but – even as much as I hated it – I knew I had to listen to my body – not my training plan.

Six days before race day, my body is not 100% (but when you run as much I do when is it ever??)  Most likely due to tight calve muscles, I am combating a little bit of plantar fasciitis in my right heel and achilles tendinitis in my left ankle.  Even though the injuries are far from severe, I am icing everything (including taking foot ice baths) and trying to be careful to not further any injuries.

One of the best ways (and most delightful!) to loosen the body and prepare it for race day is to get a massage.  So, Monday night (don’t want one too close to race day in case I am sore after), I am having some woman massage my back, butt, and legs until I am loose enough to bend over and twerk it like Miley Cyrus.

While I cannot control the weather (and I am certainly concerned that it will be too hot for fast running!), I can do everything in my power to get my body ready to race.  In addition to getting a massage and loading up on carbs, I am also cutting back on my miles this week and making it a priority to get ample amounts of sleep!

The goal of this half marathon is not to run the fastest half marathon of my career.  My training plan does not have the time to fit in a proper taper for a half marathon (I ran 22 miles on Sunday – 11 miles easy followed by 11 miles moderate.)  Instead, the goal is to have a solid race that will build confidence for the Marine Corps Marathon in October.  As long as the weather is cool, I hope to keep my pace around 6:30/mile or below (around a 1:25:00 half marathon).  Thus, I hope to be able to take my half marathon time from this weekend to predict a sub-3 hour marathon.  http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/race-times-predictor

 You can’t always follow your training plan perfectly, but this week I think I am going to have no problems getting a massage, loading up on pasta, and just sitting on my butt a little more.  Marathon training sure can be tough!


MCM Training Week Fourteen: 72 Miles

This Week’s Beer Choice: Avery Brewing Co.’s India Pale Ale


No comments:

Post a Comment