Monday, September 9, 2013

Building My War Chest


The only thing that could be more special to a girl than the shoes that take her through miles and miles of marathon training is the pair of shoes that take her 26.2 miles on race day. 

These past few days, I have spent hours researching and searching for that perfect pair of racing flats.  The hunt turned out to be exceptionally more difficult than I could have imagined.  For starters, if you try to Google “best marathon racing flats” or “best marathon shoes,” you will either get results that provide an assortment of racing flats that are almost all for track, cross-country or other short racing distances or you will find loads of training shoes that are all heavier than my everyday pair. 

After much tedious detective work, I thought I had narrowed my search to three potential pairs of flats: Nike Lunaracer, Saucony Type A5, and New Balance 1600.  Unfortunately, I had a surprise when I visited the local TrySports – they did not carry any of my options.  In fact, to my knowledge, there is not a running store in Charlotte that carries these racing flats.

While I was certainly disappointed that my choices were limited and my research was wasted, I did leave TrySports pleased with a pair of Brooks T7 Racers.  I originally did not consider the shoes because Brooks specially states on its website that “the vast majority of runners will not find it ‘enough shoe’ for a full marathon.”  However, the guy who assisted me – who has had far superior athletic success than I – promised me multiple times (I kept asking) that I am the “exception-to-the-rule” given the fact that I have been consistently training in the super-light Brooks PureConnects.

Brooks T7 Racing Flats


Even though marathon shoes may be the most important piece of one’s racing ensemble unless you are doing one of those nude runs (then the more power to you!), there are other necessary pieces to the race-day puzzle. 

The first item I purchased for the Marine Corps Marathon was a size small men’s racing singlet with a U.S. Flag print.



Of course, then I needed gold, star earring studs to match!



Lastly, the element that I am still struggling with the most – running shorts.  Annoyed by all my current shorts becoming soaked with sweat and sticking to my legs during long runs but yet not being quite ready to bare it all in racing briefs, I decided to try to find a pair of short, tight boyshorts.  Unfortunately, the Nike Racing Women’s Boyshorts that I ordered offline had a shockingly rough seam on the front inside of the shorts.  The shorts hurt to just walk around in…I can’t even imagine having to run 26.2 miles in them!!  I have ordered a replacement pair in case I happened to just get defective ones.  I’m keeping my fingers crossed these next shorts will be more comfortable!  They may kill you to run in them, but I will say that the Nike Racing Boyshorts are super cute (and super short)!



Armed with almost all my material racing goods, I am starting to feel more prepared for the big day.  Sure – some kickass Nike Road Machine sunglasses like the ones Shalane Flanagan and Kara Goucher wore at this year’s Boston Marathon won’t guarantee faster race times (yes –I got sold on those too), but the sense of feeling prepared will boost your confidence and putting on your special racing gear and shoes will remind you that it’s showtime! 

In its own way – the marathon is a battle.  It’s hard, long, tough, and it takes some guts just to get out there.  So, every marathoner needs to build her war chest in preparation…However, she may sub GUs for guns and even throw in a pair of sparkly, gold star earrings.




MCM Training Week Thirteen: 76 Miles

My body is still hanging in there.  I am certainly feeling stronger and faster!  I hope to remain healthy these last few weeks and try to build on the progress.  Getting excited about MCM Half in just two weeks!

This Week's Beer Choice:  Flipside Red IPA...A new beer from Sierra Nevada.  Great IPA - Perfect for the Fall weather!





No comments:

Post a Comment