Thursday, March 27, 2014

And You Know, We’re On Each Other’s Team


The last time I was on a team was when I played kickball in Charleston, SC with some coworkers.  “Kick in a Box” didn’t do so hot.  Evidently accountants don’t make the best kickball players.  However, I learned the year before that boozing Citadel boys aren’t much better – Our  “My Couch Pulls Out But I Don’t” team (you can guess who came up with that name) maybe squeaked out just one victory the whole season.

In high school, I drank a little less beer during play and became the second seed on Northern Nash’s tennis team.  Only problem was that we had just one good player.

Even though my most recent team experiences haven’t exactly panned out, I am super pumped about being a part of the Charlotte Running Club team at the Boston Marathon!  And I’m really not just being a polite Southerner when I say that – I really am excited!

After learning about the organization shortly after the Marine Corps Marathon, I joined Charlotte Running Club (“CRC”) back in January.  Not only does the group offer me the opportunity to connect with training partners for runs, but it also provides me with resources for training and racing advice.  And since a coworker once told me that he feared that I thought there was a written section to the marathon since I studied so many training books, I know I could probably use some advice that doesn’t come off the shelves of Charlotte’s Public Library or ordered off Amazon.

At this year’s Boston Marathon, Charlotte Running Club will have teams competing in both the men’s and women’s open divisions and the men’s and women’s masters divisions.  The three fastest times on each team will be used to rank Charlotte Running Club amongst teams from all over the country.  You can check out last year’s results here http://raceday.baa.org/team.html

Of course I am always looking to pick off some ponytails at the end of a race (if I can!), but I am honestly more concerned with beating myself than some other runner.  I feel like when we are out there racing we are all struggling to do our best, and in some ways – especially in a marathon – we are all a team.  But ranking running teams brings a whole new competitive element to Boston.  I don’t want to crush some mountain girl’s spirit, but I would love to kill Asheville Track Club whose Women’s Team placed 7th overall last year.  I mean – seriously! – Charlotte is a million times bigger than Asheville!  We need to take these girls down.

Besides fueling my competitive nature, being a part of CRC’s Boston Team is a nice way to share the excitement and experience of the 2014 Boston Marathon.  Running the Boston Marathon is awesome, but I think running it as part of a team will be even more special!  Like celebrating my birthday last weekend with a good friend that was born just two days after me, it’s way more fun to be able to share these good times with others!

 
Birthday Girls!  Brittney (L) and Me (R)


Boston Experiment Week 12 of 16:  38 

This week’s training was comprised of mostly easy miles – most of which were thankfully off pavement.  I did do a 17-mile long run that contained 3 x 1 mile at marathon pace with 1 mile off.  I felt like the run was exactly what I wanted – nothing crazy, just a little bit of quality.

This Week’s Beer Choice:  AleWorks Bitter Valentine Double IPA (VA) 

The Bitter Valentine at Berret's in Historic Williamsburg

No comments:

Post a Comment