Thursday, March 13, 2014

You‘ve Got to Know When to Hold ‘Em, And Know When to Fold ‘Em


So, this is actually the second version of this week’s blog post.  I previously wrote an article, edited it, and was ready to share, but a sense of uncertainty kept me from clicking the publish button.  And after lying in bed wide awake for a couple of hours in the middle of the night Tuesday night (which reminded me too much of the night before the Marine Corps Marathon last fall when I was pacing the hotel halls with a sprained ankle), I made the judgment call Wednesday morning to not run in the Tobacco Road Half Marathon this Sunday in Durham, NC.

I have been back running after my ankle-sprain injury for about two months now, but I am still not feeling 100%.  I am sure I probably needed a couple months of nothing but easy running just to get my body used to the stress again, but instead I almost immediately started putting in some workouts in hopes of scraping together some sort of marathon training.  Thus, I have been consistently battling all those fun overuse and too-much-too-soon injuries.

On one hand, I remind myself that almost everyone who is training for a race struggles with some sort of injury.  I would even estimate that more than half of the participants at this year’s Boston Marathon will have at least something that has bothered them recently.

In Grad School, I skipped class one day because I went out too hard the night before.  I still remember one of my guy classmates said to me, “You know, Paula.  You’re not the only one who gets hangovers.”  The guy was quite the confident young chap and was definitely trying to be a jerk to me, but he had a point.  And I think the same thing applies here…Almost all runners have challenges with injuries.  Thus, you reach a time when you have to woman-up and do your best with what you got.  I can only use the “I had a sprained ankle” excuse once.  And I surely don’t want to be known as a whiny, why-me Nancy Kerrigan type.

However, I also do not want to be known as the idiot who runs a marathon on a sprained ankle.  And looking at my track record, that would be a fair way to describe me.

Thus, even though I was pumped to get out and race Sunday and excited to see how I could run, I am being conservative and choosing to not risk any further injury by racing too soon.  It is extremely important to me to try to get to Boston as healthy as I possibly can.  No matter what, I will be undertrained coming in to the marathon, but if I bring a healthy body to the starting line, I can at least give myself a chance to perform.

With Boston less than six weeks away, it is time or perhaps past time for my body to feel strong and healed.  I do not want to be up in the middle of the night before the Boston Marathon walking the halls, worried about a nagging injury and whether I’m strong enough to race.  In addition to possibly preventing further injury, skipping the Tobacco Road Half Marathon this Sunday allows me to take a break from the hard running and actually put in some easy miles for a change.  I am hoping to get 100% healed and pick back up training runs next weekend on my long run.  My goal is to get in a few more quality longs runs then give myself a mental pat on the rear and trot to the Boston Marathon starting line.

The Boston Marathon should not be the fastest marathon I will ever run (at least it better not be!), but my confidence has grown over these past few weeks, and I really do believe I am capable of having a solid race.  Perhaps it is a sense of hope or possibility, but I feel something that makes me believe I can run Boston and run it well.  Maybe I am wrong and maybe I’ll get swept up and go out too hard at the beginning.  But if so, oh well – everyone gets hangovers and every runner at some race goes out too hard at the beginning.  It happens.





Boston Experiment Week 10 of 16:  37  (Only 3 runs but lots of quality!  One run included five hard miles (no recovery) at around half-marathon/10K pace, and my long run was 20 miles with first 10 miles at an average pace of a little under 8 minutes (easy) and last ten miles a little under 7 minutes/mile (moderate))

This Week’s Beer Choice:  Sweetwater 420 with my pasta when I was still carbo-loading for the Tobacco Road Half Marathon


No comments:

Post a Comment