Monday, March 3, 2014

Shoe Problems


At what point does it become a problem?  How many is too many?  And is this normal? – These are questions I asked myself recently when I decided I needed a new pair of running shoes even though I currently have three pairs that I am rotating and one still never-worn pair in a box packed away in an upstairs closet (Hey, when things are on sale you buy in bulk, whether it’s paper towels or running shoes.)

Excel Mileage Tracking of My Shoes


However, when our bodies are breaking down from the heavy loads of training, we like to not take responsibility and admit that yes we probably did do too much too soon, but instead we take the easy route and blame the shoes.

Thus, a little over a week ago, I decided that in addition to cutting back my mileage, I may need to also switch out my training shoes.  But what should be my next shoe love?

Trends in the running shoe industry tend to turn over faster than the legs of an elite marathoner.  It appears that this season everyone is jumping into more cushioned, plusher trainers than before.  Running shoe reviewers are even calling it the “Maximalist Movement.”  I – on the other hand – am scratching my head wondering what did I miss?  Didn’t these people read Born to Run?

I love a minimalist shoe.  When wearing my 6.0 oz Brooks T7 Racing flats, I feel like I am flying.  I also enjoy feeling the road underneath my feet.  The sensation somehow makes me feel more connected with my run.  But I also love to be able to run, and I have struggled with building back mileage after my injury.  If a heavier, more cushioned shoe is what I need to be able to train more, then bring on the foam.

After trying on several pairs of heavier, more cushioned but still neutral training shoes, I purchased a pair of the Adidas Supernova Glide 6s.  I didn’t know it at the time, but the shoe was actually Runner’s World’s Editor’s Choice in their Spring 2014 Shoe Guide.  Personally, I liked the laces on the shoe a lot not only because they were pink but they were also designed in a way that I can tighten them to make the shoe narrower to fit my long, skinny foot.



Packed with “Boost” technology, my new Adidas shoes are almost at the other end of the spectrum from the minimalist, leather huarache sandals worn by the Tarhumara distance runners in Born to Run.  I have been trying to get used to feeling like I am running on marshmallows, but I cannot say that the shoes are uncomfortable.  My biggest complaint is that I feel like my speed work is sloppier than a frat boy at a keg party.  Especially when I am running quickly over hills or uneven road, the shoes feel extra clunky and my feet move all around.  Perhaps I just need to tie my laces tighter, but they feel like a lot of shoe compared to trainers from the semi-minimalist Brooks Pure line.

Hopefully, time will tell if my plush, new Adidas kicks will help my legs handle harder training and additional mileage as I push towards the Boston Marathon starting line.  And if they don’t work out, then they can just join the others in the running shoe graveyard where I have stored shoes that have long since had their mileage maxed out, but I just can’t seem to throw away.  Maybe I do have a problem…




Boston Experiment Week 9 of 16:  37

Another week of extremely low mileage, but it was to be expected since the week consisted of only three runs.   However, they were three quality runs, and I am optimistic that my running is improving.  I also did two easy “runs” in the pool this past week, but I think I pulled my left hamstring by overextending my stride in the pool.  I had this same problem before but it was my right hamstring.  I think I am just over the pool.  Hopefully, my left hamstring will feel 100% after a few days out of the pool.  I no longer have any issues or discomfort with my right hamstring so I am hoping that it is not a big deal.

This Week’s Beer Choice:  NoDa Brewing Company’s Jam Session at Heist Brewery


No comments:

Post a Comment